Monday, June 21, 2010

Been working hard!


Scott laughed at me the other day after I told him I had done two "loads" of wash. But doing it by hand still counts as a load, right?
We have had an awesome couple of days. Today we had quite the adventure with the 200+ cattle out here that belong to Poppa Joe and his partner, Alex. Alex stopped up at the cabin this morning to ask if we could help move the cattle from one grazing field to the next. Of course, being up for the adventure and wanting to help, we did.
It seemed easy enough...corral the cattle together using the 4-wheelers, get them heading down the side of the highway and then a sharp left into the next field, probably a mile up the way. I had the boys with me in the truck and our job was to wave at the traffic on Hwy 132 to get them to slow down. Did I mention the speed limit is 65? I only had one cowboy stop. He was wearing boots and a HUGE belt buckle, really, to ask if I was in trouble. I am sure I looked pretty out of place with my hot pink flip flops on!
Scott and Katie were on the 4-wheeler. I told Katie that if a bull started to charge them to hide behind Dad. Several of them had fairly large horns and apparently they do not like to be moved.
Well, from down the highway where we were, all we could see was a huge mass of black and it appeared that mass of black was heading ACROSS the highway instead of just sticking to the same side. After all the cattle crossed, they walked through a field and then the 4-wheeling people had to corral them all back across the highway. Scott said some of them were so stubborn he had to give them a smack on the rump to get them moving! It was pretty exciting. Sorry for not having any photos of that, but we had nothing charged up. Go figure.
The few days before were really a lot of fun. I took the kids up the Nebo loop which took us into Uinta National Forest....so beautiful. The first day we hardly made it up the mountain because we stopped at a small river full of rapids rushing down from Mount Nebo. The kids had the best time just playing in the freezing water, collecting rocks and throwing things into the rapids and I did too.
The following day, we went back with Scott and did a little fishing and then headed up the mountain. We stopped for lunch at Bear Canyon and it was just breathtaking. I said that out loud and Katie turned to me and asked what that word meant. I told her that a person uses that word when they see something that is so beautiful it takes your breath away and you could just look at it for a very long time. Somehow that inspired her to talk about promises and how important they are to keep. I could not help but think of that John Denver song, "Poems, Prayers and Promises" - the things we believe in. It was one of the greatest moments I can remember in a long time and I will cherish that moment standing there with Katie on the bridge over the rapids gazing up at the snow capped mountain talking about promises.
Hunter had gotten so wet while we were fishing that he refused to wear his wet pants. So, he did most of his Bear Canyon hiking in his dinosaur underwear! Ben, happy as a clam, just clomped along with the rest of us in his muck boots.
We are planning to head to the city pool tomorrow. It's hot here but the heat is not nearly as bad as the dryness. All the kids had such chapped lips I got them all their own chap stick. I think Ben has already eaten his!
Tomorrow we are also heading back up to Salt Lake to pick up Poppa Joe. He's flying in and staying until Sunday.
Hunter's birthday is on Thursday. Katie and I are very busy getting things ready for his birthday. He justs wants to make sure Alex can come. He thinks of him as a real cowboy and often mentions how much he loves him and how he HAS to come to his birthday.
Oh, I forgot to mention the kittens! Well, we have some mice in the shop and so we got some kittens. They have been a BIG hit. Hunter named his Spiderman.
Love to all!

5 comments:

  1. We're very excited about the kittens here at our house. The big question is whether they'll make the trip back to WI with you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I wish I were there to "commune" with you! The boys love hearing your adventures!! Cannot wait to talk to you and see you!

    xoxo
    stanlee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings to the Utah Nolls!

    So good to hear about all your wonderful adventures. We think you were all quite brave to take part in a real live cowboy cattle drive! That must have been something. After having visited the area, your pictures were a great reminder of how neat it is. So great that you have been able to enjoy it all. We also enjoyed the new batch of pictures. Sam, glad to finally see your new curly hair. It looks great. We especially love the picture of Ben covering his eyes. So cute. Actually all the pictures were wonderful. The only problem is that it makes us miss all of you even more! We are most envious of Joe forgetting to spend some time with you. Joe, you gotta do all sorts of "grandparent" stuff to represent us grandparents who can't be there! Have fun.

    We love you all,

    Bob and Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I would love to be there with you! What an experience for all. To wash clothes by hand and have meaningful conversations about keeping a promise. What a gift! I promise to connect with you when you get home and give you a great big soul sister hug! Thank you for sharing in this journey. Love to you all!!!
    In joy!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete