Sunday, February 2, 2014

Happy Groundhog's Day!

Apparently, the darn groundhog saw his shadow....which I am having a hard time believing because if you look at the footage, all the people are standing there in their rain coats sooooooooo.....

Anyway, I do not really mind the winter's here in UT - they are so very different than those in WI.  The sun still shines here as where I always feel like back in WI, there is just this gloomy dome over the whole state until April!

Here is the water update:
Yup...the water is still frozen.  The good news is that Scott did figure out where the problem is and has been.  Right at the bottom of Rattle Snake Road (formally the Pump Road) where we cross the driveway, we are driving the frost down and it is freezing under the driveway.  Last year Scott had to run hundreds of feet of hose to bypass the entire line coming down Rattle Snake Road, but this year it's just a small section over the driveway.  So, he has been turning that on during the day and off at night.  Last night, he left it on longer than usual --- and now that section of hose is froze.  So, now he will bring that hose up and thaw it in the basement.  Funny how even just the basics are oftentimes complicated here.

He leaves tomorrow for a conference in TN.  I guess perhaps I am becoming more of a "pioneer woman" than I thought because last night I said to him I would just rather be with the water turned completely off than deal with turning it on and off (and chances are high that the line would freeze while I was on duty and things "would be all my fault" - which I aim to avoid).  Of course, that would never be said out loud, but then watching him have to waste the whole day dealing with that kind of stuff -well, I cannot help but feel guilt - even though I know it is Mother Nature to blame, not really blame but she is the responsible party!

The kids are in St. George and it is the first time I have really felt like I have enjoyed the new house in quiet without them.  I guess there is "quiet" here while they are here, but does sleeping really count?

Scott and I are tackling the basement!  I talked him into painting the ceiling a color---YES! an actual color and we both love it - whew, because that is a lot of space to cover.  The wall paint we picked (well, I picked it and he agreed) looks like a red rock canyon, one color being lighter and the other a bit darker.  It's looking great!  And I am excited to get some huge canvas prints of areas around here like Arches and other cool places in Moab.

Scott just said his plan is to watch the Super Bowl and clean his guns.  I think I will sit by the fire and read!  I am not real crazy about the guns.

He just bought a new gun a couple days ago.  It looks like a machine gun to me, but it's not.  It's for shooting coyotes - which I am not crazy about either, but they are hanging around here and Betty is fighting them.  At least it is not her blood she comes home with on her face!  Plus, I have not mentioned this, but Bo is gone.  He and Betty took off one day and he just never returned.  It is those kinds of things that make me kinda feel ok with shooting the coyotes, but who really knows what happened to him.  It's hard for me to turn my cheek and not let that kind of thing sink in and overshadow my love of living here.  It's hard not knowing.  Plus - he was such a sweet boy!  There goes that cattle dog investment!

So, Scott will absolutely not let me put this picture on the blog, but the other morning I come walking into the family room and there he is, laying on his stomach, gun propped up and he's aiming at, well - I guess it would have been the piano!  I took his picture and then he spent some time chasing me around the house to get my phone away from me.  I tried my best - I like to think I am faster than him, but ultimately he won out.

I guess SOMEONE is pretty excited about his gun!

No comments:

Post a Comment