Monday, February 10, 2014

The last morning of quiet

Scott and I are headed down to Beaver - yes, there really is a town called Beaver- to pick up the kids this morning.  They have been with the Noll's for about 10 days and it has been so quiet here!  It's also been pretty darn clean....although had to smile to myself when Scott got back and the very next morning his cereal bowl was sitting there on the counter!

Our main focus this week has been the basement - painting and tiling.  Neither one of us are looking forward to grouting, so we have procrastinated that.  It really does look great.  We did not tile the entire basement.  The areas we did tile are the space where the wood burning stove will sit (which by the way should arrive this week!) and whole area in front of the double doors which flows into the bar area and then there is another whole area that is tiled in the far corner where we eventually plan to put a pool table.  The bar area is going to ROCK!  We are thinking the top of the bar will be a giant piece of wood we have specifically cut from a lumber yard and the under part of the bar will be something like barn board or old weathered cedar.  It will be a great space when we are done!

I am just sitting here having coffee.  Scott already left and is hoping to barrel through the foot of slush on the road to go and feed cows.  Guess we will see if he makes it.  We were just talking about how when the kids are gone for so long and then when they come back how much they seem to have changed! They just seem so much older!

I could not help but conclude three things while they were gone - I really do value having (and maintaining) a clean house...it makes my brain feel in order to have things on the outside also in order, I would be much more fit (I went to the gym almost every day!) and I would not nearly have to buy so much food!  Although maybe when I think about it, I would not be more fit because one night we really did have cake for dinner....just because we could (and I did not have to make anything for anyone!)

We certainly appreciate Bob and Deb having the kids for this little vacation!  I know how special their relationship is with each one of the kids and am glad it works out that they can have this time together.  I never really had a relationship with my grandparents the way our kids do with the Noll's.  They really are those awesome grandparents!  And our kids will grow up with wonderful memories of their shared time together.  They'll also probably have a few things they will forever associate with them as well, such as strawberries and cream for breakfast and coffee cake!  But what tender memories they will have of time shared, of laughs and just the truth of living deeply into being a grandparent and drinking it all in and truly loving every moment shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment